Re: DIY - Sometimes....

On Jan 4, 2:05 pm, Frank Olson
<use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robert L Bass wrote:
> > "Bob La Londe" wrote:
>
> >> ...  I get a number of calls from folks who have moved into a home
> >> where we installed a system for a previous owner.  I politely tell
> >> them, "We charge a full one hour service call to come out, check the
> >> system, train you on how it works, and bring a spare user manual or
> >> print out a copy for you.  If you go on monitoring service with us we
> >> will waive the cost of the initial service call. If there is anything
> >> wrong with your system that requires materials or labor in excess of
> >> one hour you will have to pay for that in either case."  Their next
> >> few sentences always tell me what I am dealing with.
>
> > There are some similarities with online sales, except that we don't
> > charge for our time -- just the merchandise.  We frequently get calls
> > from people who've tripped an alarm that was installed by a previous
> > tennant or owner and don't know how to shut it off.  If I know the
> > system and they sound real I walk them through disabling it,
>
> I'm sure everyone "sounds real" on the telephone.  Sure Bass...  Every
> thief should have your number memorized.  "I'm going to break...
> errmm...  enter my newly purchased house but the previous owner left the
> system "armed".  How do I disable it??"  Heard from "Elvis" lately?
>
> <snip>
>

> >> An amazing number think we should come out and service the system, run
> >> copies of user manuls and alarm information, and train them on it
> >> without being paid at all...
>
> > A lot of "service" calls come from people who think we are Napco,
> > Honeywell or whatever.  They search online for the manufacturer but our
> > link often comes up first (gotta love Google) so they call.  If all they
> > need is a manual I email one to them.  It's no big deal. I have quite a
> > few on my server and links to hundreds more on our vendors' servers.
> > Since going out to service their alarms isn't an option (half the time
> > they're calling from Texas or Idaho it seems), I don't mind helping out
> > a bit.  You never know when it may turn into a sale down the road.  Of
> > course, for a local alarm company "you never know... down the road"
> > isn't goiong to pay for thecost of sending a tech out.
>
> >> This little bit right here is exactly what I need to say to them to
> >> save myself a ton of headaches:
>
> >> "We charge a full one hour service call to come out, check the system
> >> train you on how it works and bring a spare user manual or print out a
> >> copy for you.  If you go on monitoring service with us we will waive
> >> the cost of the initial service call.  If there is anything wrong with
> >> your system that requires materials or labor in excess of one hour you
> >> will have to pay for that in either case."
>
> > That's fair and reasonable -- far better than many other companies might
> > do.  If they won't accept that you're better off not dealing with them.
>
> You frequently use "most" and "many" when you denigrate installation
> [...]

RHC: Uh....not to jump in to the middle of this pissing contest, but I
won't work on a non monitored system for any reason - period!!

Why not?...for several reasons..

1- My business model is not to sign parties to anything other than a
month to month contract. So if they want their local system serviced,
I do it, and one month later they leave me ?
2- Local alarms are next to useless and I won't waste my time and
someone's money fixing a local system.
3- With too many accounts now, I reserve my limited time and energy
for servicing my RMR paying customers.

I gladly help people when they call me, but I simply won't waste my
time (even billable time) on a local system. Luckily, virtually
everyone I deal with sees the logic in
having their alarm monitored properly, especially when it comes
bundled with service and 100% warranty and all at a reasonable market
price !

Sorry Frank, but you asked.....