Re: DIY - Sometimes....

"Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:RDofj.20632$4m5.11681@xxxxxxxxxxx
> "Bob La Londe" wrote:
>>
>> I have had a couple folks over the years ask me to monitor their self
>> installed alarm systems.  I am always amazed that they don't understand
>> why  I can't just magically make their ancient Radio Shack switch and
>> buzzer box  start talking to the central station...
>
> The funny thing is, although we deal almost exclusively with DIYers, I
> rarely get calls from people with RadShak systems.  I get a fair number of
> calls from folks who have bought homes with existing systems in them.
> Usually they've tried to get their systems serviced by a local alarm
> company but aren't interested in monitoring.  Since most alarm companies
> won't service a non-monitored system, they choose to DIY.  Those tend to
> be the most difficult clients for us since they're not really DIYers.
> Most of the time someone who is a little handy with tools and willing to
> spend a weekend or two can easily learn to install his own system.

Actually for me too.  I get a number of calls from folks who have moved into
a home where we installed a system for a previous owner.  I politely tell
them, "We charge a full one hour service call to come out, check the system,
train you on how it works, and bring a spare user manual or print out a copy
for you.  If you go on monitoring service with us we will waive the cost of
the initial service call.  If there is anything wrong with your system that
requires materials or labor in excess of one hour you will have to pay for
that in either case."  Their next few sentences always tell me what I am
dealing with.

An amazing number think we should come out and service the system, run
copies of user manuls and alarm information, and train them on it without
being paid at all.

This little bit right here is exactly what I need to say to them to save
myself a ton of headaches:

"We charge a full one hour service call to come out, check the system train
you on how it works and bring a spare user manual or print out a copy for
you.  If you go on monitoring service with us we will waive the cost of the
initial service call.  If there is anything wrong with your system that
requires materials or labor in excess of one hour you will have to pay for
that in either case."

I never ever waive the service call for somebody who has learned to, "beef,"
or who tries to play manipulation games.  While its probably to late in
their lives to try behavior modification I still believe its wrong to reward
bad behavior.

If I installed it I will gladly service it no matter how old or how many
owners the premise has gone through, but I don't work for free.  They can
pay for a service call or they can go on service.  I write the waived
service call onto the contract as waived in exchange for minimum one year
contract.  If they cancel early I bill them for the initial service call.
Some try that.  Pay one month service and then cancel to get out of the cost
of a service call.

What I suspect you are getting as your "more difficult" clients are those
who refuse to pay for service or monitoring, and yes there are many
companies who will not service a system they are not currently monitoring,
but I suspect that is not all of what you are seeing no matter what they
actually say.

--
Sincerly,
The guy who makes the final decision