Re: How can I do this (CCTV)

Crash Gordon wrote:

>Residential install; lady wants two exterior cameras (no biggie I already
>ran two coax, two cat5e, two power wires - so I'm set for anything).
>But she can't make up her mind what she wants us to do with the
>signal...DVR, Capture Card, modulate to TVs??
>
>Since her brother gave her a prefectly good 2 year old computer, I figured
>I'd just install a decent capture card with internet capabilities on the
>computer and run a remote LCD display to her bedroom (about 15 feet from the
>computer). The 'puter will be located at the structured wiring box.
>
>That seemed too simple.
>
>Now she's thinking she may also want it modulated to 3 TV locations.
>
>This is why I go nuts.
>
>She has money for anything reasonable I come up with.
>
>Can I take the output from the cameras and modulate it AND send it to the
>capture card? Or is this backwards thinking.
>She's got me confused now.

Well, I guess you could modulate them on unused channels for distribution to
TV's - then install a TV tuner card on the PC - hell I'm watching Family Guy
right now in a window.   But that is not going to turn the PC into a DVR (not
sure if that's what you wanted).  It would just allow for monitoring the cams
on the PC and record 1 at a time.

You can split the signal and send un modulated feeds to a PC capture card for a
home built DVR.   And then modulate the 2 from the split and inject them into
the cable (get's more complicated if she has SAT).

OR..  Get a capture card and use the Monitor output to modulate for injection
on the CATV/SAT.

OR.. http://www.napcosecurity.com/video.html

Or maybe wireless video Tx-Rx for the TV's set on the AUX inputs if you don't
want to fuck with channel modulation/injection.

I'll think about it some more... gotta run.

--

-G