Re: ADT Strikes Again

That is a tragic story. But "ADT Strikes Again"? Really?

No shit. I thought ADT broke in and killed the lady. Look Ive been in this
industry for 12 years, Im no expert, but Ill go against thier expert witness
or anyone in this newsgroup any day of the week.

The story claims : "When the phone line was cut, according to the lawsuit, a
siren should have sounded.  Security expert Jeff Zwirn says the alarm should
have been activated instantly"
Read your contract. I would love to see where ADT states to the customer
that cell backup unit is provided to initiate an "Instant" alarm condition,
or even a siren. That is just not what that piece of equipment is made for.
Can it be done? Sure. Is it a good idea? No.

Thier so called expert makes 4 claims:
The control panel failed.
    Did it? If so how where the police notified?
The Radio failed.
    Again, if it did how where police dispatched when the phone lines where
cut?
The Glassbreak Sensor failed.
    I have no knowledge of the specifics of this case, but I would be
willing to bet a weeks pay that this was the device that initiated the
police response, probably after an entry delay.
The Motion Sensors Failed.
    Really? If the customer was home and armed the system in stay, would a
motion normally trip or not?

The later part of the story I do have a problem with. I have worked for 7
different companies in the past 12 years through aquisitions. Salesmen in
the alarm industry generally are the worst of the worst. People are not
paying 2,500 or 25,000 for motion detectors, keypads, keychains, or
yardsigns. They are paying for something intangable, and that is peice of
mind. That makes them EXTREMELY vunerable to being taken advantage of.

I tell my customers, if someone really wants to get in, they will get in.
Anything you order from ADT is a deterrent. What you should do as a customer
is educate yourself, by getting quotes from several (3 or more) reputable
companies for THE SAME protection and make a decision yourself. And keep in
the back of your mind, what you should be asking yourself is "Holy shit my
husband is stalking me. Would an electronic security system make me feel
better? Would a radio back up make me feel better? What about glassbreaks?"
Personally I would have told her she needs to relocate if the ex husband is
really a threat, she should consider getting large dogs, weapons training,
mace, and maybe a basic alarm system with a remote panic button.

I will gladly go against anyone who thinks electronic security is the end
all be all with this challenge. With a $2.5k budget for an alarm system, you
put it in our test house. I get the address and 1 year to break in. If
during that year I am able to commit a theft of property or shoot you in the
face at 3am with a paintball gun I win. If your electronic security system
stops me, you win. I live in the Florida area and am not willing to travel
to make an ass of you, but if you live in FL and would like to take me up on
this challenge feel free. I will videotape my "burglary" and/or "mock
execution" and whoever wins can sell the video for profit.