Re: Cellular connectivity question

Jon Paris wrote:
> "alarman" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Jon Paris wrote:
>>> I have a question concerning GSM cellular connectivity for my security
>>> system. The system I have (DSC 832) is installed in a vacation home
>>> far from any landlines. Since I have no landlines I am currently
>>> relying on just the siren to repel intruders. I have seen complete
>>> systems on EBay that seem to accomplish what I would like to do but
>>> they look really cheap and nasty and I'd really like to keep my
>>> current system in place.
>>> I would also like it to utilize pre-paid SIM cards so I can self
>>> monitor and have it call me as well as the neighbor of my cabin. Is
>>> there such an animal out there that fits my needs?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Jon
>> What an unusual inquiry. You want to...self...monitor? How will that work,
>> exactly?
>>

> Not actual monitoring, I would just like the system to call me and my
> neighbor. Through caller ID I and he would know my system activated.
>
> This is one of the systems on Ebay that seems to do everything I am looking
> for but I'd rather just add the cellular functionality to the system I
> already have-
> http://tinyurl.com/4vualg

Most of (all that I know of - there may be others) the cellular back up
units work through a monitoring center.

Upon receiving a fire alarm, the monitoring center, after notifying the
fire department (even if they cannot save the cabin - depending on how
far from civilization you are, they can mitigate the damage to the
surrounding forest - or even your neighbor's cabin) will start calling
the contacts listed on the call list UNTIL THEY MAKE CONTACT WITH A
HUMAN BEING.

In the event of a burglary alarm they will (at least ours does) make one
or two attempts to verify the alarm (less than 1 minute in almost all
cases) and then will dispatch your local sheriff who may not get there
in time to apprehend the crook - depending on how far out you are - but
he will arrive in time to prevent weather and/or critters from causing
more damage or destroying evidence. Again, the monitoring center will
then start down your contact list until they make positive contact with
a human being.

If you use the cabin during cold weather or use a heating source on cool
nights in warmer weather you should also have a carbon monoxide detector
which will have your monitoring center sending out the fire department
and paramedics as well as calling down the contact list.

Life-safety devices IMHO are even more important in remote locations
such as yours.

If you are determined to do as you have outlined there are several
solutions that will merge a cellular phone with a household landline
type connections.  utilizing one of these products you can dock a
prepaid cell phone (some will also function as a charger) and then wire
in your alarm panel as if it were a regular land line.

That being said, you have gone to the trouble of installing an alarm
panel to protect your property, why wouldn't you take the final step?

Many insurance companies will offer a discount for a professionally
monitored alarm system but are much less impressed with self monitored
systems - there is a reason for this.

If your system does not include life-safety devices I strongly recommend
that you add them - even if it a local alarm only.  They could make all
the difference between a happy family vacation, and a tragic one.

Good Luck