Re: Ademco wireless system

tourman wrote:

> RHC: I sometimes wonder when we are discussing locking a panel,
> whether some are mixing up simply changing the installer code rather
> than enabling the hardware lock. In effect, changing the installer
> code IS locking someone out of installer level programming mode, but
> this is only as long as that company is monitoring it. If the actual
> hardware lockout is not enabled, the next company simply defaults the
> panel, which is probably the best idea anyway, since it's often easy
> to overlook that the previous company had enabled other features you
> may not want (such as callback for example, in which case you wouldn't
> be able to dial in to the panel). To my knowledge, every company
> changes the installer code, and with good reason.
>
> There are a few companies up here that install the wiring and the
> alarm for builders. They change the installer code too, although it's
> probably not necessary since the unit is being sold to a private buyer
> of the home who will then decide what he wants to do ie: put it on
> line, or leave it local. It's just normal practice in this industry to
> protect against tampering of the information in the panel. Actual
> hardware lockout is something QUITE different....

And Robert makes no distinction between locking a panel through use of
the installer code or other method.  He figures his customers should
have 100$ access to their systems and has frequently stated so.  The
ONLY reason he won't disagree with you here is the simple fact that he
considers you a "friend".