Re: Ademco wireless system

To be clear on your definition of "lock down", changing the installer
code to their own is more than sufficient to protect the integrity of
the panel and it's communication  data. This is always done by every
company and any company that doesn't would be very foolish. Nothing
more should ever be acceptable to you as a consumer. This allows only
them in to make low level changes which affect the panel's ability to
call the station.

However, there is another additional lockout feature which prevents
the panel from EVER being returned to factory default, and which makes
the panel useless to any other company after the first company has
left. No company has the right to use this feature on a panel which is
fully paid for, and which belongs fully to you, and on which there are
no contractual obligations outstanding. THAT is the lockout you have
to avoid. Although not a perfect analogy, it's a bit like putting a
padlock on the hood of a car so you MUST come back to the original
dealer. That padlock is ok as long as you and your dealer have a
contractual agreement for that service, and as long as you still owe
monies on the alarm system, but if or when the dealer leaves at the
end of the contract, and you fully own the system, so should the
"padlock" be removed.

Unfortunately, there are many companies that don't adhere to ethical
guidelines on this issue due to competitive pressures.The "padlock" is
often left there for malicious reasons, to force the new company to
replace the board, thereby ensuring less likelihood that the consumer
will leave the original company. THAT situation amounts to no less
than a form of theft !!

RHC
www.homemetal.com