Re: Window Sensors

On Sep 27, 2:25?pm, DigitalPimp <mark.stubblefi...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The house came pre-wired at no cost to me when I built it last year.
> I do not think I have any recourse to contact the installers directly,
> as after looking at a neighbors house that had his alarm "activated"
> by the company that did the pre-wire, all of the windows have a push
> button type switch that goes under the seal and into the sill.  First
> off, I didn't like how this looked, and secondly the info I read about
> the internet has lead me far, far away from these types of switches if
> they are to be exposed to the elements.  To me, I'm not sure if
> contacting the pre-wire company makes any sense since if they did this
> bad of a job in the first place, I don't think I want them mucking
> around with my windows and make it any worse.

Gottcha!

> > No one has mentioned that GRI also carries 1/4 inch rare earth magnets
> > that may align with the ? inch recessed contacts. Even though the ?
> > inch switch is larger than a 3/8s inch switch does not mean that you
> > need a larger magnet to make it operate. Generally speaking you can
> > pretty much count on the fact that now days, most switches use the
> > same size reed contact and require the same amount of magnetic pull to
> > activate them. You'd have to experiment, to be absolutely sure, but
> > I'm betting that the 1/4 inch rare earth mags, drilled beside and on
> > the inside of the weather strip, would be strong enough to close the ?
> > switch. GRI has two sizes .... 1/4" dia by 1/8" thick and 1/4" dia by
> > 1/4' thick. The latter being the stronger of the two. If you've got
> > enough meat in the bottom of the sash to drill a 1/4 inch deep hole
> > with a brad point bit .... to recess the magnet, then I have no doubt
> > it would pull in the ?" switch.

> I've found a good source for the switches as well as the "button" type
> magnets that have a hole in the middle of them to be screwed to the
> bottom of the sash.  So you're saying there needs to be a drilled out
> hole for the buttons to sit in?  I believe the window is the newer
> style hollow core type that is entirely made of plastic and metal with
> dual panes with an insulation layer between.

If the ones you found are working ....use them. I was thinking that if
the mags were not recessed into the bottom of the sash, the window
wouldn't close all the way down and you wouldn't get a good seal.

Even if the window is hollow, you can recess the mags. You fill the
hole with caulk. Let it dry a little. push the magnet into the caulk
until it's flush. put a piece of scotch tape over it and let it dry.
If you're using the right size drill bit, you can even get the mag to
"press fit" into the think thicness of vinyl.

> > I'd have to actually see the window and how and where the holes were
> > drilled, but if I were looking at the job, I would try to evaluate if
> > the wires could be redirected so that you might be able to consider
> > using surface mount contacts on the inside window sill, rather than
> > messing with the ? contacts that are going to be at least partially
> > exposed to the weather. ( ie the part of the switch that's on the
> > outer side of the window seal.)  I'd bet there's a possibility that
> > with an experienced installer with a practiced dill hand, a small wire
> > hole could be drilled between the inner window sill or ( if the window
> > has a raised lower lip on it) the inside edge of the window. A small
> > surface contact could be used instead of an ill placed, partially
> > exposed contact in the outer sill. Once the wire was re-routed, hole
> > plugs could be used to fill the ? holes, then caulked and painted.
> > Now days, there are many surface mount contacts that are so small as
> > to be almost unnoticeable.
>
> > The wires may be able to be re-routed to another hole drilled in the
> > right place in the sill, that would accommodate a 3/8 inch recessed
> > contact also. Again .... sealing up the ? hole.
>
> Would you like to see a photo?  I can put one on the net tonight.  I
> had thought about using surface mounted contacts but the look doesn't
> appeal to me.  But, at the end of the day I want functional perimeter
> detection, so the surface mounts may be the way to go.  I'd just have
> to figure out how to get the holes lined up since most of the pre-
> drilled holes are nowhere near the outside edges of the sill.  The
> only way I could see doing it is to route a channel into the sash with
> a dremel and run the wire in there, then covering it up with putty and
> painting.  Sounds like a lot of work though!

Sure, post a pic. Someone else may get another idea.