Re: Window Sensors

>> Thanks.  They're vinyl clad, but quality windows.  I'm sure
>> they're hollow core as light as they are but I haven't tried to
>> install the switches yet.

If these are hollow core vinyl be extremely careful drilling them.
There's often very little space between the vinyl and the edge of the
glass inside.  Consider using a miniature surface mount sensor.
Another poster suggested using rare switches with earth magnets.  The
magnets come in a number of shapes and sizes, one or another of which
you might be able to fit into the slot holding the insulation strip.
That would require trimming off about 1/4" to 1/3" of the strip in
most cases -- not enough to affect the window's insulation
properties.

Another alternative which works for some windows is GRI's model
MC-25.  This is a channel mount device to hold a magnet on the side
edge of the sash.  Depending on the make, the sides may be clear or
they may have counter-balance cables hidden in them.  Before drilling
check the window manufacturer's website.  Some, like Anderson, have
schematic drawings and installation manuals you can download.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics