Re: Window Sensors

DigitalPimp wrote:
>> use 1/2" recessed switch. the flat magnet sticks above it
> So it's OK to stick the magnet to the weather strip on the bottom of
> the window?  The existing hole is directly under the seal.  Can the
> magnet be moved away from the strip so it's close to the switch, but
> not on top of it?  Pardon my ignorance - new DIY'r here.

are these wood windows?  if they are then you can drill a 3/8" hole in
them just deep enough to sink the mag, use a short one so you don't
drill into glass.  pull the seal out of the way with your finger and
drill as close to magnet as you can without damaging the seal.
the magnet can be off center a little bit

>> 1/2" recessed switch and drill a 3/8" hole below it in the door for a
>> recessed magnet
> Do I have to pay attention to the magnets that are designed for metal
> doors?  One is a garage door and the other is a set of two french
> doors.  Both are clad in metal but I believe have an insulated core.

if the area you are drilling is wood there is no need for a spacer.
stick a mag to area to be drilled and if it sticks you need a spacer.
if so you will have to drill 3/4" hole and use a spacer.