Re: Area Code Change: Ademco Vista 50

"Petem" <petem001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:GnTUi.1908$bf1.16438@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Mark Leuck" <m..leuck@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 4723d629$0$32553$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > "Roland Moore" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >> Ask your service provider if he or she has a copy of Compass for
Windows.
> > If
> >> they don't, or don't know what you're talking about, it would be a good
> >> indication it's time to switch providers. What the company might want
> > do
> >> is upgrade the chip inside your Vista 50 panel, especially if it is a
> > really
> >> old version. Newer keypads like the 6160 reportedly have trouble with
> > early
> >> version of the Vista 50 without the chip upgrade. That means the whole
> >> program has to be rewritten within Compass for the upgrade.
> >
> > Thats absurd
> >
> > 1. Giving an untrained individual Compass would be rather dumb, same
with
> > giving him a program sheet and letting him fat finger it
> >

> your the absurd one..where in hell did Roland ever said the OP to get a
copy
> of Compass??
> he asked him to ask his provider so that the OP can se what type of alarm
> dealer he has..
>
> and at the same he is educating the OP about the fact that his provider
> could reprogram the dealer by software preventing the visit of him home by
> the alarm company technician..
>

> > 2. Just because they may not have Compass doesn't mean it's time to
change
> > providers, I know many companies that don't download which do excellent
> > service
> >

> and we know some that do download some panel and leave no protection

Yes we all know about his standard for "excellent service". But you forget
that is not his department. He is in the don't give a shit department. The
other guys at fault are in the oh shit or deep shit departments. It such a
big place it is hard to know who works where, and even harder to remember
once you know.
And as for keypad programming I know how to do that as well as foiling
windows, installing lace wire and pull traps, using under carpet pressure
mats along with vibration sensors and installing transducers on ultrsonic
systems. I guess I should get a horse and buggy and go back to installing
these on a McCullough loop panel or Potter direct wire? The technology
changes with the times and it is important to stay up with it.

> > 3.. His system is already up and running, no need for a chip upgrade, no
> > need to have the program re-written

Well if he only has one 6139 keypad and it fails, and this is an early Vista
50 system, and the service tech only has a 6160 keypad, not much in the way
of programming is going to happen until someone fires up the downloader.
That alone may be reason enough for a chip swap.

> > The OP needs to define what "excessive" means, I have a feeling it isn't
> > excessive at all
> >

> Excessive for you must be the amount that some dealer received from a well
> known company lately ;-)

No shit? He didn't have to pay, so it didn't seem to bother anyone in the
don't give a shit department he works in. It was the big shits that paid,
blaming it all on the oh shit department. They would have blamed deep shit,
but everyone is trying to stay out of there.