Re: The Brinks PSA

On Oct 11, 11:36 am, Frank Olson <Use-the-email-
li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> tourman wrote:
>
> > RHC: Hehehe....agreed, with one proviso !
>
> > I will NEVER reveal how unlocking is done. This is a gentleman's
> > agreement I have with Jim Rojas and Jackson. We share how this is done
> > between ourselves and no one else. We don't want this dangerous
> > information getting out to the general public (and to anyone who
> > questions this, if this makes us "judge, jury and
> > executioner...tough !! ...that's the way it's going to be). There are
> > too many individuals and alarm companies who would use this knowledge
> > against others. Nor would I publish in any form any information that
> > will allow anyone to crack these boards. But other than that,
> > everything goes. Screw Brinks and their bullshit.......(and I thought
> > ADT was bad !)
>
> Since none of the Brinks products are keypad programmable (they utilize
> a hand-held programmer manufactured by DTI/Scantronic that *any* alarm
> dealer in the US/Canada can purchase from GE) "unlocking" this board
> would prove a fruitless exercise, but by all means "fill your boots".
> The programmers are regularly offered for sale on eBay as well.  The
> programming "map" would be a good thing to get a-hold of and it
> shouldn't take much to reverse engineer it (or find some disgruntled
> Brinks employee willing to part with it).  That way someone could "rent"
> the programmer (along with explicit directions on how to use it with
> *any* Brinks product) for a small fee.  You'd have to ask for a deposit
> (that would cover the cost of the unit) which you would return to the
> customer once he's sent it back to you.  The programming
> map/instructions he could keep.  This could be "big".  Some could even
> call it a "movement".

RHC: Frank, I do not need the special programmer to do what I do.
However, if the units are not keypad programmable, you are correct in
that one would need to create a "map" of locations and their
functions. This would simply take a bit more time; however, once
established, I would not ethically be able to publish this
information. In a sense, it "belongs" to Brinks, and much as I'd like
to see them get the royal shaft over this bullshit with Jim, two
wrongs never make a right !!
I just thought it would be fun to crack their board simply to say I
can do it....

I wonder why they are so worried about this information getting out.
Most customers would never be able to do this sort of thing, and even
installers who would choose to learn to reprogram Brinks panels with
the special programmer to make them "local" for customers, would have
a major learning curve to do so, and would have to charge the clients
quite a bit to make it worth their while, which would make it likely
that the client would instead simply choose to buy a new and better
panel from any number of sources. Brinks concerns are really a "storm
in a teacup" and as some have suggested, just an excuse for their
lawyers to rack up billable hours.

At this point, if they were to withdraw their complaints though, it
would be a loss of face for them. I doubt they would do so for that
reason alone....