Re: An email from yoursecuritysource.com's hosting provider

tourman wrote:
> On Oct 23, 9:20 am, Frank Olson
> <use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Frank Olson wrote:
>>> By all means.  I'm sorta hoping my HP isn't going to "cave" without
>>> their ensuring a TOS violation has occured (like Jim's did for a few
>>> days).  I'd really like them to show me were a US Court Injunction
>>> against a US company has *any* bearing on what I do (in Canada).  I
>>> still can't understand why Tech Help was removed from his site.  One
>>> thing he's not posted is the Injunction and perhaps the wording in that
>>> is what prohibits him from posting the links to the AlarmsBC website as
>>> well.  If you actually look at the manuals offered on that site, there
>>> are only a few of the early ones that have a Brinks Copyright.  The
>>> Brinks 3000 manual has an Intellisense Copyright and is therefore not
>>> their intellectual property.
>> On further reflection I'm also wondering why Honeywell, Ademco, DSC,
>> Moose, Elk, Napco, etc. haven't proceeded againsthttp://www.tech-man.comandhttp://www.alarmsbc.ca.  Do you really think
>> they care whether their manuals are made public?  Remember when Bass
>> kept posting the Dealer login information for the Honeywell site?  I
>> sincerely doubt they care either way because nothing has ever come of
>> it.  In fact, being able to demonstrate how simple one panel is to
>> operate and having the ability to compare features is probably a big
>> help to the manufacturers in providing competitive product.  I think the
>> reason why Brinks doesn't want that information out there is because
>> their technology is years behind or has been "dumbed down" from the
>> standard panel Honeywell and GE offers.  It's going to make it pretty
>> easy to sell against.  As for Brinks having any "intellectual property",
>> they don't.  As Jim has demonstrated, even their much "ballyhooed"
>> Patented keypad has a Copyright stamp from Scantronics on the back.  If
>> Jim's posts the appropriate Scantronics programming sheets (with the
>> appropriate Brinks revisions to the program fields), I don't see that
>> they can do *anything* about that.
>
> RHC: I don't think that the right or wrong of it has much to do with
> their insistence to keep going. Lawyers in their employ are simply
> paid minions who do what they are told within the limits of the law,
> or within the limits of what they think they can get away with by
> stretching things as far as they can to their client's advantage. All
> the big mass marketers are geared towards one thing and one thing only
> -  the garnering of long term monitoring contracts for the purposes of
> a guaranteed revenue stream. Other industries do it as well; however,
> at least in most of those cases, they give a proper level of equipment
> and service to go along with it, unlike the mass marketers in the
> security community.. Sableman and crew are simply doing what they
> think best to represent their clients. While I don't defend them in
> [...]

I think Jim may already by investigating that should Brinks win an
Order.  I, however, don't think a "Default Judgement" is going to
provide Brinks with the necessary "clout" to enable them to defend
unestablished and/or non-existent intellectual property rights.
Unfortunately, Jim is in a "hard place" at the moment.  I'm going to
look into going to Texas for the 26th.  Since these individuals have
seen fit to include me in their little game, they're going to get a bit
more than they bargained for.  Even though I would have no legal
standing in a Texas Court, I figure Jim could use a cheerleader (I'll
have to dig out my mini-skirt, pom-poms & ankle socks).