How to connect window sensors?

When we purchased our home it did not have a security system.  I
installed one myself, really not knowing anything about the proper
ways of wiring one up.  For each window, I drilled up through the
header and ran the sensor wires along the edge of the window.  It
really is not noticable.  I had sensors with very long leads and I was
able to make all my connections in the attic using butt connectors.

But since I lost many sensors due to a lightning strike, the
replacement ones I bought have much shorter leads.  These are the
small sensors that do NOT have the screw terminals.  I can't make the
connections in the attic, so have been soldering the new sensors
(staggering the solder joint for each wire) and using shrink tube to
insulate.  This makes for a very small profile connection compared to
butt connectors.  Is this a good idea?  How do you pro's do it for a
repair job?

Another question... I have learned from this newsgroup that my
normally closed contact sensors failed since they were basically
welded together.  Would I have been better off using normally open
contacts?  I assume those are wired in parallel, and since NC ones are
wired in series, I can't just change, but I was just curious if they
fail due to lightning.

Thanks in advance.