Re: Special Window Protection

On May 21, 6:07=EF=BF=BDpm, "ABLE_1" <royboynos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Looking for some special brain juice flow on the following.
>
> I have a customer that has a number of Vertical Casement Windows (meaning
> that they are about 28" wide by 60" high and pivot on the side and have a
> crank at the bottom to open thru some gearing).
>
> They would like to protect these windows while they are O-P-E-N at various
> angles. =A0The windows presently have the roll up screening installed for=
> bug retardant on the inside. =A0It is kinda like a window blind but with
> screen and secure track on the edges. =A0The windows are at ground level.
>
> I have about tapped my idea bank and came up empty on a solution. =A0I ev=
en
> suggested that they NOT leave the windows OPEN but that raised eyebrows a
> bit.
>
> Anyone ever made ??something?? work in this type of application??
>
> All ideas are welcome since it may spark another.
>
> TIA
>
> Les

Well, here's a kind of a "Kluge" way of doing it but it may give you
some ideas. I have to say that this was something that I did for a
customer about 20 years ago, because this was acceptable to him. I
didn't like the "look" of it, but it was what he found acceptable.

If you put surface mount contacts on the side ..... of the hinge side
of the window, you'll find that the window can be opened about a foot,
before the contact breaks. Obviously, you'll have to experiment with
how far apart to put the switch and magnet initially, so that the
window can't be opened "too" far. Where the problem lies, is that
there's no way to know exactly how far you can crank open the window
to know that the window wont blow in the wind while you're out and
cause an alarm.

I was able to purchase some miniature chain and some hooks at the
hardware store and attached a "limiting tether" on the inside top of
the window so that the window could only be opened to the extent that
would allow the contact distance to be maintained. The bad part was,
that if you wanted to open the window all the way, you had to take the
screen out and unhook the chain. My customer said he'd likely not ever
want to open the windows further than the teather would allow and that
he'd have to take the screen out anyway, if he wanted to clean the
windows. Also, in his case, the tether was hidden by window shades.