Re: Raising and Lowering Security Cameras

> Man, you do get slammed in these groups.
> I'm not a cheap bastidge and actually my
> contractor is not low grade.

Don't sweat it.  Unprovoked attacks are the
Usenet equivalent of road rage.

> "Robert L Bass", I thank you for the time
> and effort you put into your response and
> the links you gave me to OSHA...

You're most welcome.

> but I am tied to union rules as well as health
> and safety regulations. I know that a 16 foot
> ladder would get me eyeball height with the
> camera and to be honest with you I would
> climb up and do it myself, but grievances will
> fly beyond belief...

It's a shame that something so useful and
necessary as unions can become an albatross
around your neck.

> Unfortunately, due to the union rules, I can
> not use any tools, which is frustrating since
> I used to do this type of work in my former
> job. I guess those are the breaks when you
> "go up the ladder" in your career.

I've been fortunate enough not to have to deal
with unions more than a couple of times in my
work life.  I worked for Union Carbide many years
ago.  I ran a centerless grinder and a milling
machine.  Once when I was behind quota I tried
to skip my break to catch up.  The shop steward
came over and gave me hell for it.  :^)

> The application for this camera is unique to
> me, I have a camera mounted up the pole in
> the center of a large open outside area. You
> wouldn't believe how much it cost me to get
> conduit run underground to this pole, we ran
> into many obstacles while boring so had to
> trench a lot of the way, which cost more since
> we needed to replace the asphalt.  Anyway, I
> am installing a thermal PTZ camera, with video
> analytics.  I am expecting to need to get to this
> camera fairly often since I am testing this
> technology out...

Have you considered using a pivoting pole?
The camera is mounted to the pole while it lies
on its side.  When ready the pole swings up and
is pinned in position.  I don't know who makes
them but I've seen these poles used before.

> Therefore, renting a lift once more to install this
> camera lowering system, will hopefully save me
> money for future service and experimental work.
> The camera I have priced out will cost me just
> over $100,000.00 and the video analytics console
> will cost me around $13,000.00.  By the time I
> am done with this installation I will have about
> $150,000.00 plus into it...

Heh.  So much for the "cheap" insult thrown your
way.

> Then I can start playing around with the analytics.
> So, "BOB LaLONDE" I guess if you want to call
> me a cheap bastidge I guess that your prerogative,
> I guess I won't be needing your consulting services
> at any time.

Knowiung Bob, he was probably kidding.  He's one
of the better participants here.

> As you can probably tell I am a newcomer to this
> group and it's been good reading your posts.

Thanks.  Some of us try to be helpful... :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics