Re: Difference between digital phone and VOIP

> I don't think we need to worry about VOIP
> becoming the "de facto" of the major
> providers until that technology IS reliable.

We disagree on two fronts here.  First, I've
worked in the telecomm industry and never
saw anything indicating a concern for
reliability.  If it can be sold at a better margin
they'll go for it every time.  Second, I'm not
at all worried.  From  my POV the move to
VoIP is a major plus.  Of course, the fact
that I don't sell monitoring has a lot to do
with that. :^)

> The big backbone providers (Ma Bell and
> family) can't afford to dump everyone over
> to a new technology until it's achieved a
> certain level of reliability...

They're already beginning to do it, whether
the customers know it or not. (cf: my reference
to long distance carriers earlier).  They are
also offering all sorts of package deals to lure
customers away from analog.

> I dunno about the US, but up here, if reliability
> levels aren't government-mandated, they're
> certainly government-encouraged...

This is the USA with Dubya at the helm.  Forget
about standards, QOS, reliablility, etc.  The
only issue is whether they made a sufficient
deposit in Shrub National Bank.

> Telus, for example, couldn't just start pulling
> up landlines and pushing everyone onto VOIP...

Same here.  Instead they offer loss leader pricing
to get vict... er, customers to sign up for the service.

> ... the public outcry would force all levels of
> government to intervene.

There's the difference.  This is America Under The
Shrub!  The current government turns a deaf ear
to the will of the people.  In fact, our National Idiot
actually believes that he is in the White House
*despite* losing the popular vote by over half a
million votes because *God* put him there.  He
cites the Biblical Passage in Mark 5:21-43 to
explain why it's OK for him to ignore the will of
the people concerning little matters like Gulf War II,
the economy, the ecology of the earth, etc.

Ah, but I digress.  At any rate, VoIP is coming and
it's a much bigger wave than we might like to think.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics