Re: Difference between digital phone and VOIP

> The catch with that, at least in residential, is
> that they still depend on the reliability of the
> internet connection.  Extended service outages,
> customers mucking with cable/DSL modem
> hookups, etc. are still just as much a concern.

I understand that and you're right to be concerned.
Unfortunately, this is the way things are going.
More and more telco's are switching their long
distance services over to VoIP for the same
reason homeowners are doing so -- it's less
expensive.  I'm fairly certain that within a very few
years the major portion of telephony in this country
will be VoIP.  Hopefully, QOS will improve as more
innovative devices are made.

Already there are a plethora of direct digital
telephone instruments on the market, including the
Polycom 501 SIP unit sitting on my desk.  These
(or something like them) are the wave of the future.
This doesn't necessarily bode ill for the alarm
industry -- only for those who fail to keep up with
the times.  [Note: No slight here to my friend, Bob
Campbell.  He's getting ready to retire and move
to Florida anyway, smart guy that he is... :^)]

The question alarm company owners need to ask
is not "How do we keep people from switching to
VoIP," but "What must we do to be able to continue
providing services to them?"  I believe we're seeing
the handwriting on the wall concerning phone
service.  I don't pretend to know what the solution
will be but I'm certain we need to deal with it more
effectively than by simply warning customers of
the pitfalls.  In case there's anyone left who hasn't
noticed, they don't always listen.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass