Re: ASI Internet Communicator

Bob La Londe wrote:
> "Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> or even better than that is to have the unit
>>> send an email every time the ip address
>>> changes.  you want to know what the ip
>>> address is check your email and there it is.
>>> no xtra dedicated sites needed.
>> Nice idea.  One problem I can see is it would
>> require that every device be assigned an email
>> address.  With a dedicated server you only
>> need a connection.  For an enterprising alarm
>> manufacturer it could become an RMR stream.
>
> Nope, any e-mail address with a pop server could be used easily and
> directly.  The unit just includes a unit ID in the e-mail.  Better yet, the
> remote client software automatically retrieves the e-mail from the pop
> server on opening that account and sets the IP address automatically before
> trying to connect.  That part can all be done with software.

Using a mail server adds a lot of config. Many ISP's block
outgoing port 25, so you would have to configure each unit
with server, login credentials AND the destination email address.
The mail server(s) becomes just as much an "xtra dedicated site" as
what AZS has.

We've arrived at a similar architecture as ASZ, although we built
it into our controllers directly and also moved the whole config UI
out to our hosted web servers, so no need for any client software -
just a browser.

http://www.interopix.com

</A>