Re: Switching alarm system - can I convert my database?

By SQL I assume you mean Microsoft SQL, probably MSDE, not a generic
Structured Query Language running in a Server OS environment. Some high end
access systems say that they're database engine neutral and will use
anything. That is hype as far as I have seen.
If you have Microsoft SQL then you should be able to open the database with
Microsoft Access 2003 or greater. There might be a pass code for needed for
logging into (connecting to) the database. Access can switch from tables to
SQL script view so depending on what technique you like use to manage the
database, it should not be that difficult to do.
Again you have not said what brand of access control you are migrating from
or to, so it is hard to get into any real "how to" detail.  You keep on
mentioning alarm points. How many points are you talking about? I have seen
systems processing over 200,000 transactions alarms (like door held, door
forced, wrong access level, wrong time zone) per month. That took SCO UNIX
and an IBM Informix database to work, but you could still parse out the
tables with Microsoft Access and get reports with Crystal Reports. I am not
familiar with any other tools you may need to do a conversion of the
database. As far as vendor lock in, I have not heard of that on any access
control system other than normal password and data protection schemes.
Vendor lock in might not be legal to do in our state in any case.