Re: Switching alarm system - can I convert my database?

Tommy wrote:
> Pat Coghlan <news@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> We are upgrading our commercial alarm & access control system to one
>> sold by another vendor.  Our current system has a database consisting
>> of our cardholders, alarm point descriptions, instructions etc. which
>> we'd like to "mine" and copy to our new system.
>>
>> The software licence seems to restrict us from doing anything but
>> operate our current system.  Does anyone know of a situation where
>> this type of data mining has resulted in litigation over infringement
>> of a software licence?
>>

> Without knowing any specifics, all we can give is general advice. Does
> your current software have have any export functions? if you can export
> to excel or to a text file you might be able to cut and paste some of
> your information. Does your new software have a conversion utility?
>
> you are probably still looking at some manual entry. No pain no gain

There is an export function for cardholders only, but we have lots of
other data (alarm point descriptions etc. - thousands of them) that
could be moved over.

Doing the conversion is not the problem.  I'm wondering if it can be
done in a way to avoid infringing the EULA - which seems to preclude
this type of data mining.