Re: Home alarm & phone lines question

On Jul 23, 10:11?am, surfer349 <madareng...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You can just get a cellular system.  No need for a cell phone backup.
> GE/alarm.com are now beginning to sell completely wireless, cellular
> systems.  No more phone line connections, no more big metal boxes in
> the closet.  It is all self-contained in the panel on the wall.  Email
> me for more info.  I can show  you how to get all this new equipment
> upgrades for FREE.
>
> adam4firstl...@xxxxxxxxx
>
> On Jul 22, 6:17 pm, "runde...@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <runde...@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> > I noticed in my telco box that the red/green goes to the alarm panel
> > first, then the rest of the house is wired off two other wires that
> > return from the alarm panel.  I am guessing that this is so that the
> > alarm can isolate the rest of the phones in the house and dial out
> > even if a phone is off hook somewhere?
>
> > Also, the buried telco cable runs conspicuously up to the phone box on
> > the wall, and the wire to the alarm panel runs conspicuously out of
> > the phone box up the wall and into the soffet.  I could take care of
> > the latter problem by drilling through the wall behind the box and
> > running the wire through the wall.  I could also armor the supply wire
> > with conduit.  But I'm not sure how much these measures really matter
> > if the burglar could just get into the box with a flathead and snip
> > the wires.
>
> > I know they have those services that monitor for an open phone line,
> > but I've already had several telephone outages since moving here and
> > it is my understanding that a telephone outage in conjunction with
> > those services would product a false alarm, correct me please if I'm
> > wrong.
>
> > Am I chasing my tail or is there a way to make disabling the phone
> > system less easy or obvious?- Hide quoted text -

Runderwo,

I don't know who this poster is, but I'm gonna tell you, DON'T go with
anyone who tells you that cellular alone is OK or with anyone who
offers you anything for FREE!

There is one company in particular that is out there promoting that
Cellular is secure all by it's self. Obviously, if you've ever had a
dropped call or poor reception on your cell phone, you know this can't
be too reliable. And, of course, you'll be paying more for your
monthly monitoring, so you can make up for twice the actual cost of
your  "FREE" system, over the next 5 years.