Home alarm & phone lines question

I noticed in my telco box that the red/green goes to the alarm panel
first, then the rest of the house is wired off two other wires that
return from the alarm panel.  I am guessing that this is so that the
alarm can isolate the rest of the phones in the house and dial out
even if a phone is off hook somewhere?

Also, the buried telco cable runs conspicuously up to the phone box on
the wall, and the wire to the alarm panel runs conspicuously out of
the phone box up the wall and into the soffet.  I could take care of
the latter problem by drilling through the wall behind the box and
running the wire through the wall.  I could also armor the supply wire
with conduit.  But I'm not sure how much these measures really matter
if the burglar could just get into the box with a flathead and snip
the wires.

I know they have those services that monitor for an open phone line,
but I've already had several telephone outages since moving here and
it is my understanding that a telephone outage in conjunction with
those services would product a false alarm, correct me please if I'm
wrong.

Am I chasing my tail or is there a way to make disabling the phone
system less easy or obvious?