Re: Telular Telguard TG-1 & TG-4 Service Pricing

>I think this is where there might be some confusion with terminology
> (or not). Simply changing the installer code is not locking the panel
> in any way, and is something that all companies do and that few would
> argue is not necessary. But actually locking the panel with the
> software lock is what is really meant when someone talks about locking
> the board (certainly me....).
>
> I think that some might be misinterpreting changing the installer code
> with truly locking the board in some of the past discussions about
> locking boards......

Bob,

It depends varies with the panels you are using.  Napco panels are "code-locked" by default.  There's a different 6-digit master
code on each panel.  The code is printed on a label affixed to the board cover which protects the uProcessor.  By removing the label
and failing to give the customer a programming access code, the dealer has effectively locked the client out.

We order replacement chips for customers whose panels have been locked by the installing dealer.  At least with Napco the customer
has a way to get control his own system if the alarm company tried to pull a fast one.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics