Re: Telular Telguard TG-1 & TG-4 Service Pricing

Doug-

Thanks for the clarification on this. It makes a lot more sense to me
now based on your explanation on why a lot of the monitoring services
aren't so eager to adopt and use the Telguard system. You think this
would be hurting Telular's business given the potentially cost
prohibitive model they use which essentially makes it more difficult
for new monitoring services to sign up new customers. You would think
they'd want to try to grow their business by making it easy to bring on
new dealers and customers.

I guess my best route right now is probably to sell the two TG-4 units
I purchased (actually, it was cheaper to buy 2 - don't ask! ;) and look
into a different cellular backup solution. My issue is that a lot of
the systems I've seen out there don't really allow for both primary
phone line connection and backup cellular protection (I'm not so sure I
feel comfortable relying on just one method of notification right now.)
What's even worse is I'm still seeing a lot of the analog based systems
being pushed right now (excess inventory?) which doesn't make a lot of
sense to invest in right now given the plan to phase out the older
analog communication starting in 2008 (or near future.)

There were a few monitoring services I talked with that offer the
Uplink system, but I'm not so sure its the new GSM based AnyNet one or
the older CellemetryXG systems. The other drawback to AnyNet is that
you need to add a serial port to your system in order to gain CID
notification (I'm already using the built-in serial port on my Caddx
NX-8e for the DVR/broadband monoring.) I really liked the Telguard
system since it was essentially a plug and play design by connecting
in-line to your RJ31X jack.

Also, I agree with a previous comment made regarding the difficult of
implementing a Cellular system for the DIYer. This definitely is
becoming more of a challenge than I thought. I would have gladly went
the professional route if I could get a system I liked, but
unfortunately I had a bad experience with the local guy that made me
re-think doing the alarm installation myself. This is the main reason
for starting down the DIY path in the first place.

Thanks again for the help everyone!