Re: Pelco Spectra Domes

> Huh?

Petem thinks he speaks English. I think he should post in French instead and
then everyone could take their chances with Google Translator.
If it wasn't more accurate that way, at least it would probably be more
entertaining.
I think Petem was trying to explain a hyper technical issue about how the DM
unit talks to PTZ heads using different communications protocols (like 485
versus 232 versus up the coax). Some (most) PTZ domes can store a tour
and/or presets internally versus the DVR giving the commands continuously.
DM has two different ways of doing this and each method is only supported by
one type of protocol or another on certain PTZ dome & DVR combinations.
I don't mean to say anything bad about DM, but it is not my favorite unit
out there that's for certain. Pelco is known for its great customer support.
I don't know this first hand because I don't use Pelco products. I feel
almost guilty saying that since the Pelco rep is so nice and always comes
around and gives us more free shirts, hats, tools and such than the guys we
actually buy a lot stuff from do.
I can say one advantage using a single manufacturer end to end avoids some
of those issues you mention having problems with. If you have not looked at
a DiBos version 8 and an Envirodome combo lately you might want to check
them out again. The feature set is hard to beat. You don't have to be a BCSD
to get the Bosch video line. Anixter and even ADI carries almost the whole
Bosch CCTV line. About the only thing you can't get is a few BVIP items, but
that applies to BCSDs also. You have to get BVIP training to get the full
product line and its tough to get an open slot sometimes.