Re: Hook in AC Fire Alarms to Security System

I'm not sure I understand this comment. How would I be trusting my
family's lives on line carrier line technology?

Today (already installed in the house before I purchased it) I have an
existing AC Fire Alarm system with battery backup. In the event of a
power failure and a fire, the alarm will go off and notify everyone in
the house to evacuate.

So my question is - how would this functionality any different than a
system hooked to the panel if say the alarm's circuit board fails or
the phone line melts? The fire alarms should operate and go off in both
cases will in the event of detecting smoke but without any monitoring
notification. Shouldn't it be exactly the same functionally?

Right now the system I have for fire is standalone and obviously not
monitored, but how is it any different functionality-wise if I hooked
into the panel over carrier line technology than not having it hooked
in at all? It would still be the same system I have today. So I'm not
sure how I would be trusting my family's life on this?

My only thought was to possibly add in remote monitoring to my existing
system to add additional protection while I'm NOT home. And yes, I
understand if the power fails the system connectivity to the panel
would fail rendering the system completely useless (i.e. no remote
monitoring would be possible.) But once again, how is this any
different than what I have today? No difference and still no remote
monitoring.

Actually, I really thank everyone for taking the time to provide their
suggestions and comments on the subject. I gained a lot of valuable
information on this topic and I will probably just install a few
strategically placed wireless fire alarms throughout the house (as this
seems to be the more preferred approach.)

Honestly, I didn't mean to do any "trolling" on the subject, but it
definitely seems like very debated discussion topic from what I can
tell now! Oh yeah, one final thing.. for those of you who are wondering
- NO, I'm not trying to install a faulty monitoring system to off my
family in a house fire so I can collect on the insurance money!! <grin>

Anyhow, many thanks!