Re: How to replace battery

Jim wrote:
> I brive a dus wrote:
> > Julian typed:
> > My method is to clean the interior of smokes, but c'mon - who the hell
> > carries alcohol swabs for cleaning the sensing chamber? Another tall
> > story I guess.
> >

> > Alcohol swabs and pads are a MUST (clean any surface before mounting
> > equipment)
>
> Just alcohol and a cloth. <

I like swabs and pads because they're disposable.

> > Also make sure you have:
> > A handheld vacuum (don't be a piggy in someone else's home or business)
>
> Yes.
>
> > A dropcloth (lay your tools down on them)
>
> Yes. And at drilling points that may cause an
> abundance of dirt.  And at the entrance to wipe your feet when you
> go out to the van. NEVER work with out your shoes on. If requested
> to remove my shoes, I carry shoe booties and take them off if going
> to the basement or outdoors. Pain in the butt, but better than
> working without ma booots on.<

Shoe booties is a great idea but what a pain in the ass when you
install in a Chinese house. You need one pair for the living quarters,
and another pair for the basement.

> > latex gloves (to prevent marking walls)
>
> You might want to try serving gloves. The type they
> use at food catering places. Latex are hard to get on
> and off and they make your hands sweat. And just
> throw them in the washing machine.<

Thanks for the tip I'll pick up a pair of gloves.

> > dustpan and brush (more piggy prevention)
>
> Too much to carry. Just the hand vac does the job ok.<

I'm a neat freak (oh how I hope that this isn't read by people who have
seen my office).

> > Drill Doctor (nothing worse than a dull bit) <

> I sharpen my own brill dits. But you young-uns don't know
> how to do that. Anyway, I always have backups and put the
> dull ones in the carry-home box to be sharpened. I probably
> have brill dits older than you are. <

You probably have a lot of things older than me which means you either
collect antiques or you're a cheap bastard.
Drill Doctor is a portable sharpener.

> > and shaving cream (spray a tad over the spot you are drilling through
> > to prevent dust and catch any possible asbestos)
>
> Do you use After Shave to clean it off?  Sounds kind of messy to me.<

Not messy at all. Put a dime size amount right where you are drilling.
Go slow so it grabs onto the bit and then off you go. It catches dust
particles and doesn't leave a mess because the device you are mounting
will cover where you sprayed it ANDDDDDDDDD shaving cream is heavily
used for cleaning fine art so if it's safe enough for a Salvador Dali
I'd wager it's safe enough for Mrs. Smith's wall.

> Customer: Pardon me Tom, but what are those stains around my,
> keypad, motion detector and smoke detector? Mmmmm you smell
> good. What kind of after shave do you use? Would I like a shave,
> you ask? Well, ummmmm, sure, ummmmm I guess so. Do you
> do a Bikini cut?
> Tom: Why sure Mrs Haberstrom! If you just step this way and up on
> the kitchen table, I'll, get my drywall knife and we'll get right to
> it. <

I plead the 5th.

> But seriously, have you ever tried to clean out a smoke detector
> smoke chamber, with a Q-tip and alcohol? It leaves a smeared coating
> in the chamber. If you're going to use alcohol, it should be cleaned
> with
> a brush dipped in liquid alcohol to loosen the coating and then rinsed
> under
> flowing water. Blow drier it out or if you have time, just let it air
> dry.
> Using a Q-tip only, may work if there's no, or very little dirt in the
> chamber. But if it's got a coating of hair spray or drywall dust or the
>
> like..... a Q-tip just smears it all around.
>
> Bass is bullshitting again.
>
> Catagorize his Q-tip claim along with:
> Attention Burglar Go Ahead Make my Day!  programed on a Napco keypad. <

I'd rank that 1 in the top twenty of all time doozies told here but I
don't doubt him on the alcohol swab story.
Some of my favorite ASA whoppers included Rodney's claim he installed a
system for Dan Quayle, the Kathy & George testimonials, anything
dealing with Loxxon, and Patton's windup smokes.