Re: How to replace battery

"Julian" <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:kulmp2l12i6f46v13m78cffitc1fuchkoj@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:47:28 -0500, "Robert L Bass"
> <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Probably because the alarm company
>>> usually services the system...
>>
>>Battery replacement doesn't require any special skill.  There's no reason why the homeowner shouldn't do it himself.
>
> Oh REALLY? Ever change a battery
> on an old DSC Classic Panel?...

Nope.  Then again, I never installed an old SDSC "Classic" panel.

> Ever checking the charging voltage?
> Pretty obvious you haven't...

Well, you're wrong.  I used to check the charging voltage on Napco and Moose systems.  Every once in a while one of them would be
off kilter but that would almost invariably be indicated by other problems.

> DSC's charging circuit can be varied
> in voltage from approximately 12.5 to
> 14+ volts. Should be at 13.8, but over
> time it will wander.  I've seen over 14
> volts and as low as 13. If the voltage
> is high, the battery life will be less,
> significantly less...

I usually ask clients who call about replacement batteries how long it's been since the old one was installed.  If it's been less
than 4 years or so, I ask if there's been an extended power outage.  Most of the time they say the battery was installed by the
"professional" installer and has never been replaced since.  Many times the client says that the system -- and the battery -- have
been there for 8, 10 or more years.

> How's that for reason #1?

Inadequate.

> Reason #2?
>
> MOST clients are idiots and will not
> be able to do it or will do something
> wrong.

If that is the measure of the typical person who hires you, I can understand your concern.  If this newsgroup is any indication of
things in general, I'd say the *avarage* DIYer is smarter than the *average* professional installer.

AT any rate, changing out a backup battery is a 2-minute affair.  That includes time spent looking for the key to open the cabinet.

>> Smokes are easy to clean.  Homeowners
>> can clean one in a few minutes.
>
> Sure, I LOVE to have homeowners clean
> their own smoke detectors! I guarantee
> they didn't listen to the instructions and
> will BLOW air into the detector instead of
> SUCKING THE AIR (AND DEBRIS/DUST)
> OUT.

Do you always suck or do you also blow from time to time?

OK, sorry.  That was rude.

> I sell more smoke detectors that way.......
> AND I CHARGE A FRIGGIN' SERVICE
> CALL TOO!

All kidding aside, I'm curious where you learned to "clean" smoke detectors that way.  I always open the cover and clean the entire
interior with a moist (not wet) cloth.  Then I open the sensing chamber and clean the inside with an alcohol swab.  I find this is
much more effective than using forced air.  The smokes will often last much longer between cleanings.

> And I'm seriously considering and IDIOT
> charge, although I will have to remame it.

Hmm.  Do you write "idiot" in bold print on your stationery?

>> Yep.  It's also a good idea to wrap a
>> couple of turns of electrical tape after
>> clipping the terminals.
>
> 'Cause you just know a dead battery
> without terminals starts an electrical
> fire every 16 seconds in the US.......

First of all, my inexperienced friend, the battery isn't "dead" or it would not be necessary to clip the terminals.  Anyone with
experience in the trade instead of clerking and swapping aliases all day knows that.

Second, even with the terminals clipped off, the electrodes are still reachable.  In the unlikely event that something metallic iin
the trash were to come into contact with them, a fire could result.  It takes less than 10 seconds to wrap a little tape around the
battery to completely prevent that.  But you wouldn't know that, would you?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics