Re: ADSL or SDSL best for outbound CCTV/DVR

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:46:24 -0600, "Rocky T Squirrel"
<gafa_usa@(nospam)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok  so I missed the boat..
>Been fighting a losing battle for months
>Then I read an internet news clip  about the bandwidth difference between
>adsl and sdsl..
>So  has anyone  been able to get good outbound DVR service using adsl
>(standard DSL service)?
>Or has all the setups  been  sdsl (business grade DSL) and the factory just
>forgot to tell us?
>
>Tks,
>
>RTS

As you probably read, the "a" in ASDL stands for asymmetric which
means the upload speed is a whole lot less than the download speed.
This is fine for home internet use where you are primarily concerned
with download speed.  When using DSL for DVR remote viewing, the
opposite is true.  You need bandwidth on the upload side since the DVR
is trying to upload video to your remote location.   Ideally, you need
a high speed symmetric DSL line that offers a high upload speed to
make the most of your DVR's remote viewing capability.  The upload
data rate can vary with  ADSL, but can be as lower than 0.5 Mbps with
some DSL "Lite" services.  Whether or not this is sufficient depends
on the DVR you are using since image size can vary and some models
will offer better video with less bandwidth than others.