Re: ADSL or SDSL best for outbound CCTV/DVR

Bob La Londe wrote:

> Basically you pretty much get the bandwidth you pay for.  The problem with
> most adsl services is they are dynamic IP.  This means you need to setup a
> dyndns service and a client software package to update your current IP
> address to the dyndns service.  Then you can access it remotely using
> generic name that is redirected towards whatever you current IP address is.

Even that may not be enough with some ISPs.  I've found for most clients with
Telus ADSL, even on a business line, the IPs can change as often as every few
hours, even on a constant connection.  Depending on the customer's home ISP and
the DDNS service used, it can sometimes take an hour or two for the name updates
to propogate, by which time the IP may have changed again (that's an extreme
case, but I did have it happen with one client).

If you're doing this for a business, you're probably paying business rates for
the line to begin with, in which case a static IP may be a free option; at
worst, it should be a RELATIVELY small extra cost.

> Also, running a video server is probably contrary to your TOS for your ADSL
> residential service and they may cancel you or bottlekneck your speed when
> they realize you are running a server if you are the kind who will log on
> from work and continuously monitor the video at home etc.

Good point, although you may be able to pass it off as "remote-accessing my
webcam at home".  Generally, I think, the "no servers" rules are intended more
to prevent customers from running commercial services of their own over their
residential feeds.