Re: Intercom

On Feb 4, 1:54=EF=BF=BDpm, alarmdu...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Need some advice from the readers here that are smarter than me. =A0:)
> I am a professional in the field (weeeeee Feb 1 was 10 years!) =A0And I
> just finished doing my cameras at the house and me and the wife are
> talking about doing an intercom but unfortunatly I don;t know that
> much abouyt them. =A0I have done a few small linear systems but I want
> to see if I can get some consensus from the yokels here as to
> brands/models. =A0Prob looking at 1 out door station and 5 or so indoor
> stations. =A0
>
> Thanks for the advice guys
>
> Bill

I've found that people really don't want intercoms much anymore. Video
intercoms sell and does well (Not all, but) most don't really want to
see who's at the door at that price.

When people ask me for intercoms now days, I tell them to look into
getting a satellite telephone system, with intercom and speakerphone
capability. Uniden is one of the companys who makes them. You can page
all stations, call a particular station, block page ..... do just
about anything that an intercom can do except play music though it.
One advantage over an intercom is that the phone is portable. Then you
can add a Door Fon device at the front door that (unique) rings your
phone when someone rings the doorbell , so you can talk to whoever's
at the door from any phone. Most people who want music throughout
their home will have a whole house audio system installed that will
range from just speakers powered from your entertainment system to a
system controled at various locations such a Russound.  If you want to
listen to music throughout your home, there's no sense listening to it
coming out of a 4 inch intercom speaker. Playing music certainly
shouldn't be a reason to install an intercom.