Re: Intercom

When people ask me for intercoms now days, I tell them to look into
getting a satellite telephone system, with intercom and speakerphone
capability. Uniden is one of the companys who makes them. You can page
all stations, call a particular station, block page ..... do just
about anything that an intercom can do except play music though it.
One advantage over an intercom is that the phone is portable. Then you
can add a Door Fon device at the front door that (unique) rings your
phone when someone rings the doorbell , so you can talk to whoever's
at the door from any phone. Most people who want music throughout
their home will have a whole house audio system installed that will
range from just speakers powered from your entertainment system to a
system controled at various locations such a Russound.  If you want to
listen to music throughout your home, there's no sense listening to it
coming out of a 4 inch intercom speaker. Playing music certainly
shouldn't be a reason to install an intercom.

Our Panasonic KX-T123211D phone system plays "music on hold"- we have a
small Walkman-type am/fm receiver hooked up to the audio input. This is not
only for music on hold, but I have a button programmed at each station (2
actually- 1 "music on" and 1 "music off") to play music (or talk radio news,
which is what I usually have it programmed to) through the speakephones.