Re: 110 VAC Fire Alarms

Matthew Stanley wrote:
> I was called to a potintial customer today. They needed their fire alarm
> system tested. When I arrived, I found that it was 4 pull stations wired to
> 4 4" edwards 110VAC adaptabells.
>

> The owner told me that they never needed it inspected before but now the
> fire marshal was needing something showing it works. What do you guys do if
> you run into this situation.
>
> I have only seen this setup once and the fire marshal forced them to replace
> the system since it was not supervised and it had no back up power.
>

> Thanks for all replies......

I'd suggest doing what the owner wants you to do (the annual
inspection).  He's the boss until your report comes across the desk of
the local AHJ who may decide otherwise.  I'd also suggest you
*recommend* upgrading his system, but until the AHJ orders it, it looks
like you may have another source of "RYR".  There are dozens (if not
hundreds) of systems in the BC Lower Mainland that are unsupervised and
"grandfathered".  The annual inspections are a "snap" to do.  :-)