Re: How to identify a DSL Telephone Line

<chasbo> wrote:

> With the need to install a filter on a DSL phone line when an alarm
> system is connected to that line, is there a method that any of you
> use to determine if the line is POTS, a DSL line which is also used
> for voice, or when dial tone is supplied by a Cable company?
>
> Asking the customer is an exercise in frustration, as they in most
> cases don't know.

Use the client's phone line to call your cell phone.  While
connected, remove power from his modem.  If it's VoIP the call will
terminate.  If it's unfiltered POTS with DSL you should be able to
hear the DSL noise.

BTW, I'm currently using Verizon FIOS (fiber optic) service.  I tried
several alarm panels on it, including a Honeywell Vista-20P, a Napco
Gemini P3200 and an ELK-M1G.  All were able to communicate using
Contact ID format without a hitch.  I didn't bother trying pulse
formats or SIA.  I also run a fax machine and a couple of modems and
they all work well.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass