Re: How to identify a DSL Telephone Line

<chasbo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> With the need to install a filter on a DSL phone line when an alarm
> system is connected to that line, is there a method that any of you
> use to determine if the line is POTS, a DSL line which is also used
> for voice, or when dial tone is supplied by a Cable company?
>
> Asking the customer is an exercise in frustration, as they in most
> cases don't know.

If its an always on connection just use your butt set and listen for the
buzz.  If it is not an always on connection look for DSL filters on devices
tied to that line.

By being familiar with the various high speed interent services offered in
my area I can often figure out what the risks are by asking them, "Do you
have high speed interenet? Who from?"  If I don't "KNOW" what the provider
they mention offers I ask to see their modem.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River