Re: Wiring in Winter

On Dec 3, 8:26=EF=BF=BDpm, JoeRaisin <joerai...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> CH=EF=BF=BDIS wrote:
> > Just curious to get everyone's opinion on the minimum temperature alarm =
wire
> > can safely be run at for prewires.
>
> > I've always heard it's -15c but have never heard a reason for it.
>
> I don't know what the limit may be but I do know if the insulation is
> too cold it shatters when you staple it.
>
> I try use several boxes and keep rotating them into a warm area (last
> choice - cab of the truck).
>
> Best choice is to avoid stapling when its cold - I generally use a lot
> more zip ties.

I remember many years ago, I was working in new construction. It was
reeeeally cold out. I had to pull some wires through some holes I'd
drilled through some floor joists. Had about 4 or 5 four wires to
pull. Wire was stiff, but I didn't give it a thought. I threaded the
wire through  a number of beams, pulled the wire out of the box and
started to drag the wires through the holes I'd drilled, as I walked
across the room. As I walked, I hear behind me, something scattering
on the floor. I look and see little colored pieces of plastic on the
floor that had come off of about 15 feet of wire as it dragged over
the edge of the last hole. It was a surprise but a lesson learned. Now
I drag the propane heater out when the temp is going below freezing.
Pain in the butt .............. but ..... whatever! Keeps the coffee
warm too.