Re: pc based security intrusion and camera system

"ABC" <3940@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I hate to break it to you, but the technology used in most alarm
> systems hasn't changed much in 35 years.  It is simply lagging because
> of attitudes such as yours.  The newer PoE devices are so far advanced
> over what existed 10 years ago, you can't even begin to compare.  So,
> legacy...yes.
>
> While I agree that a alarm control panel is probably more reliable,
> that due to the fact that the features are much more limited.
> You can keep your attitude that PC/LAN based systems are not the way
> to go, but you will find yourself out of a job in 10 years.
>
> I would suggest you take a look at the IP based video system coming
> out now and get with the times.  We run one that hasn't been down in
> over 100 days due to redundant power and solid configuration.
>
> Sure, PC based systems aren't 100% reliable, but a 1 speed bicycle is
> probably more reliable than a car.  Do you still ride around on a 1
> speed bicycle.
>
> I didn't think so.

P.S.  We had simple alarm based hardware/software available as freeware
almost 20 years ago.  When BBSs came into vogue the software was available
for download off many of them.  I think I first ran across it in some
documentation from Heathkit for one of the computers we built when I was a
kid.  I wrote a simple program to read the status of a switch (all an alarm
panel really does) and make noise.  Woo, hoo.  It used an RS232 port, which
back then was quite expensive.  It would be pretty simple to extrapolate
writing a VB program to run under Windows to monitor a multiple port card in
the same way.  I mention VB because so few modern "programmers" can write
Assembler code and it would be way beyond a user.  VB is within the scope of
almost anybody to learn  Bells and whistles added as needed of course.
Remeber my mention earlier of the word modular.  Well if you write clean
modular code then all kinds of things can be done "as needed" in the future.
There are still some hardware issues with my example in this simple
solution, but I tend to put out the basic concept and assume an intelligent
person can fill in the obvious gaps, like power, newer communication, newer
devices, etc.

Of course getting back to my original statement.  Many of those problem are
overcome by using a regular modern alarm panel paired with a seperate PC
running an automation interface program.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River