Re: Thoughts on my commercial AC (copper) alarm idea

"Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:WS_vi.5848$xc5.5
@trnddc06:

>> What if I placed a security light motion detector
>> and modify it to include a Siren that will blast
>> when the light is on. (30 sec)   The area to be
>> monitor is inside a fence with the copper part
>> facing the building with just enough room for a
>> person to walk between. I could mount sensor
>> on building and point it at an angle to where it
>> only monitor the area between the unit and the
>> building.
>>
>> Anytime it sensed someone in that area the
>> bell and the light would come on.
>>
>> You guys think this would work?
>
> If you use a detector that's designed for outdoor
> use it should work.  Paradox makes a DG-85
> outdoor motion detector that I've used on my own
> jobs with decent results.  If it's pointed at a fairly
> stable (not moving) background) it won't false.
>
> Bells are not used much any more.  Mount a loud
> siren high enough on the building that it can't be
> reached.  Use an inexpensive alarm system like
> the Napco P816 and set it to ring for no more than
> 4-5 minutes and then reset.
>
> Installing these systems is pretty simple, especially
> with only one "zone" (sensor circuit).

A motion light and an ELK timer circuit would a lot simpler and cheaper.
all the OP wanted was to run the siren when the light went off. OR
simpler still just use the test circuit on the light itself as the
timer. most will give the 30 seconds that the OP wanted.

That being said, after a week of the thing going off at all hours the
neighbors will quit watching and start grumbling.