Re: the police was dispatched to ... the wrong house

> Evidently, my memory is faulty...

That plus your integrity is nonexistent.

> Which room in your house served as your
> central station?

We bought a home from a doctor. The
residence + office arrangement was perfect
for our needs.  Over the 18 years we were
there I added a second office for me apart
from the CS, a generator room and a home
theater demo room.

Our central station was like Dolly Parton --
small but well equipped.  We had two gensets
(one permanent with auto-start and auto-
transfer plus one manual start).  I installed a mid-sized, 3KVA UPS
to power the computers and office lighting.

The receivers (one 4-line unit plus a backup)
had their own battery backup.  Everything
in the office plus critical circuits in our home
were on the emergency panel.  The second
genset ran on gasoline and was only large
enough for the CS office.  In 18 years we
never ran it except a few minutes a week to
keep it lubed.

We started with BOLD central station
automation software while most independent
stations, including lots that were much larger
companies than mine, were still using index
cards and "account books".

Every critical hardware item in our CS had a
backup that could be switched on and cut over
within minutes.

You like to make snide remarks about my CS
but it was well run, enjoyed a good reputation
and made us a decent living for many years.
My business also enjoyed something none of
the large, nationals or even mid-sized, regional
operations have.  It was a family run business.
I knew most of our customers by name and
all of their systems very well because I designed
them and in many cases helped install them.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics