Re: I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT ADT AND FEDERAL REGULATIONS

> I'm under the impression that my ADT system was
> hooked up in violation of federal law and need
> information on whether or not it is illegal for the
> system to be hooked up simply to a line inside the
> house, and not the outside line to allow line seizure.

It's not a law.  There are "tarriffs" in many states
which govern use of telco lines.  Screwing up on
something like the RJ31X (alarm system telephone
line interface) isn't a violation of law though.

> ADT hooked up my system and never mentioned
> anything about it being hooked up incorrectly...

In all probability the idiot who did the installation
never told his boss about it either.

> When I tried to cancel on those grounds, they
> refused to waive my de-activation fee and stated
> that I was still under contract with them even
> though I signed a contract for a 100% operable
> system.

Technically, they're right.  The only remedy in
the agreement for such a mistake is for them to
correct it.

> They offered to fix it and credit my account for a
> few months, but I can't trust them knowing that
> if something had happened, my wife and child
> could have been hurt.

If it's one of their so-called "Authorized Dealers" I
wouldn't trust them either.  However, that offer is
a reasonable one assuming that there are no other
problems with the installation.

> If I knew where to find the federal statute, I
> would really have a case.

To the best of my knowledge there's no such
statute.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass