Re: Need Help with odd Ademco Vista 20P problem

On Apr 15, 7:53 pm, JoeRaisin <joerai...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Katerina wrote:
> >> Have you tried calling ADT?
> >> js- Hide quoted text -

> > Got the fix - thanks to Apu.  But I am curious why the board would
> > only recently start trying to answer my incoming calls.
>
> The fix could end up costing you.
>
> If the panel suddenly started answering the phone at random times (and
> not simply after someone called and hung up like it is supposed to do)
> then there is something wrong with it and ADT would likely have replaced
> it at no charge (assuming the board just went kaflooie all by itself).
>
> If you call them now, having messed around with it they are more than
> likely going to charge you for it.
>
> Since you have altered the way that they can get in touch with your
> panel they won't be able to contact it in the normal way and will have
> to send a tech out and that will be a billable call.
>
> Why on earth didn't you just contact ADT in the first place?- Hide quoted text -

I have been with ADT for 9+ years, but ADT doesn't own the equipment -
I do.  I did NOT contact ADT because although they perform the monitor
service, I own every component of hardware (NOT a leased system.)
Experience has taught me that any call to them is met with the same
response... "we need to take a look at it, and there is a base tech
charge of $100+ just for someone to come over, blah, blah."   Three
years ago a lightning strike fried the panel, and I called them - paid
$200 labor plus $125 for the board.  That was before I learned that I
could buy a board from a 3rd party and have it programmed for a lot
less.

ADT is great for monitoring, but I never made a simple inquiry call to
them without either a sales pitch or the sinking feeling that "this is
gonna cost me."