Moose Z1100 Problems

Hi all:

We have a Moose Z1100 (Series I) that we hope to have monitored.  It
was monitored until a while ago when our alarm company went out of
business.  The alarm system seems to work fine except that when we
plug the panel into the phone jack, our whole phone system goes dead
(no dialtone.)

Anyone know if this is a common failure mode?  Is this a fixable
problem?  Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated!!

--Z