Re: Notifier

> ADI needs to know the SKU and the
> price, and if they have it in stock and not much else...

I disagree.  I don't know about the branch
where you are but there are several guys
in my ADI branch who know various
systems fairly well.  They're not tech
support gurus mind you, but they know
the product capabilities.  They're more
klnowledgeable than many at our other
distributors.

> Alarm company staff need to read the
> installation manuals, not have it read
> and explained to them over the phone
> by the counter staff.

Hehhehheh.  True indeed.  Because of
Google I get a lot of calls from alarm
dealers who think we're the manufacturer
or at least a manufacturer's rep.  You
should hear some of the questions we
get.  The amazing thing is that these
guys don't have the manufacturers'
tech support numbers in their Rolodexes.

[Note to those easily offended:  The
above is not intended as a slam against
installers in general.  I assume most do
have the tech support phone numbers
in their Rolodexes.]

> Most parts houses know the type
> company they're sell to. They know the difference between companies that buy
> direct from the manufacturers and work on keeping a knowledgeable staff and
> ones that don't. Getting to that level doesn't happen over night by sprinkling
> magic dusk or adopting an elitist attitude.

Rats!  I was hoping that by being an elitist
drop shipper I would automatically become
an expert at everything.

> It is certainly not diminished by being
> thought of as elitist, especially by a
> self described trunk slammer...

I always thought the term, trunk slammer,
was simply an insult hurled at smaller or
newer competitors by people whose only
selling point was that they work for a big,
old company.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass