Re: store system w 4-8 cameras ?

I haven't tried an Intellex EDVR yet. It's still a little too new. The price
is down there and the AD rep says they're okay after a year or so in BETA
but who do you believe, the rep?
I haven't tried the GE stuff either, other than the old Caliber stuff. I am
afraid to quote it and then brush up against a big GE SP doing the same. If
the competition is someone that gets their parts through distribution you
know what they pay, but if you're bidding against a big GE SP with a
vertically marketed end user, I doubt you could even buy it for what he
would be willing selling it for just to get you out of the picture. To play
with GE doing a part here and a part there could get you killed. To be
sucessful with GE I think you have to be whole hog GE or not at all. After
the Infographic Systems foul up I am still too chicken to do the whole hog
thing. Sometimes I like to pretend I am important to certain vendors in the
industry. I don't think anyone could reach that size with GE in our industry
to actually be important. That said working with no clout and to keep the GE
sound rep happy for the PA and nurse call stuff, and the GE Fire rep happy
to get EST, and the GE security guy happy to get Cassi/Infographics is a big
political undertaking. A multi-million dollar company to the GE giant
doesn't even register as a virus in the monster's toe jam. If they destroy
your company don't take it personally, they won't. They're so huge there is
nothing mere motals can do to influence them. For example you say to GE that
you don't like alarm.com. Too bad. Complain to GE that tech support calls
take a little too long to answer. Okay we'll chop another 500 dealers. Oh,
that was you we wacked! Too bad. Some of the old pre GE Topaz/Infographics
crew bailed on GE rather than face the music with their hundreds of former
dealers. To quit after 15 years at a place due to policy changes at the top
says something. But I think GE doesn't understand the security industry and
doesn't seem to care to. What is important is they're big enough so they
really don't have to. Other large companies like Bosch, Honeywell, JCI, Tyco
and United Technologies have bought their way into the security industry and
done things the way folks were used to for the most part. But with GE the
security industry will simply have to adjust to GE. I wish I could say that
the GE tail was wagging the security industry dog, but it's really not. That
worries me.