Re: store system w 4-8 cameras ?

It is easy to see the PC in many DVR units. That said some DVR units are
more PC than others. One beef (of too many to mention) I have with
VideoInsight  is that they won't create a COTS spec for their grabber card
and create a Windows XP Embedded OS to go with it (they won't even suggest a
policy editor template for OS modification or even msconfig). The developers
of the product were honest enough to tell me that they lack the sales volume
to be able to even begin justify such a move. And a 100% fully automated
recovery CD? Not on your life. Auto throttle bandwith with QoS? That's
always coming in the next release.
Many people get confused about the term embedded OS and say one thing when
they actually mean another. Nearly all build it yourself units run on some
form of Windows OS. No matter what kind of Policy Editor you use it will
still be that version of Windows at the shell. Many DVR units use Windows XP
Embedded (more information here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/windowsxpembedded/default.aspx ) others
use an embedded OS. According to the Microsoft Embedded site Microsoft
Windows XP Embedded provides the ability to build a customized operating
system image which contains the components and technologies that are
appropriate for your specific device. One thing you should never do is apply
XP Pro patches to XP Embedded. If you can't tell one from the other the
splash screen after the POST shows XP Embedded and there is always the tiny
XP Embedded sticker (versus the much larger XP Pro sticker) on the case to
point out the difference. Some Integral Technologies units and Bosch DiBos
units use Windows XP Embedded, some units like Dedicated Micros use an
embedded OS (at least that is their description). Some units like Dallmeier
and March Networks use a Linux OS, although not the same distribution. Some
units like the Intellex use a highly modified Windows OS that is almost XP
Embedded (on version 4.x), but it is really just an odd duck. I'll say it
again, if you're a computer guy discovering CCTV then getting a grabber card
and building you're own unit seems cool. If you're a security guy, or more
specifically a systems integrator, you won't have time to build your own.
The puny margins in building your own DVR would never be worth it. If you
are thinking about supporting an up the Coax PTZ (Bosch PTZ units, Panasonic
PTZ units or Pelco PTZ units to name a few) with Bilinx (Bosch) or using
BiPhase (Bosch) to support a different protocol, no build it yourself unit
would ever be an option. And we haven't even mentioned access control
integration, POS integration or an Aegis interface (developed by KapLogic
Corporation). If you are using professional camera gear like Bosch Auto
Domes or AD Ultra  few cusomers are going to consider it a plus to cheap out
and have you drag in some weird ass home built PC no matter how you try to
promote it as a DVR. If you do a dozen or so simple mostly fixed camera DVR
deployments a year that never interface with anything else maybe you have
found your calling with build it yourself. When you walk into a major sports
arena or giant medical center and think about a DVR solution to deploy the
build it yourself option never crosses your mind, ever! Well, if you're
going to check yourself in at the Psych ward in medical center maybe. In my
opinion if you ever aspire to serve those sorts of large customers in the
future in that type of upper end market segment you should not afflict your
current customers with the crippled limitations of build it yourself, leave
that for the box sale guys or the lame IT guy with too much time and no
budget.