Re: Why I Don't Do Service for Other Companies

secure15 wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> >
> > So then it follows ...... that (in my area), all newly built homes are
> > required to have  smoke detectors, inside and outside sleeping areas
> > and on each level ...... always installed by the electrician.  But, in
> > newer homes where that requirement has been met, there is no
> > requirement that an after market installation by an alarm company would
> > have to meet and therefore one system smoke detector could be
> > installed, if that's all the homeowner wanted.
> >
> > In older homes that don't meet the newer requirements, there is no
> > dictate saying that installing only one smoke detector is not allowed.
> >
> Jim, I'm sure you know Huntington! 2 jobs there the "Building Inspector"
> told the customer that it was OK to waive the 120V interconnected by the
> Electrician as long as my System Smokes were audible (not saying how!)
> and it was monitored by a Central.  OK- what happens when the customer
> defaults on payment, you cut him off- are we supposed to provide "free"
> monitoring to scum forever to comply with a Code Official Clearly out of
> his league? ( Same lovely fellow that told me that Class 2 plug in
> trannys were unacceptable if there was a Fire Zone on the system that
> was operational!) Help- I'm surrounded by @#$%%^^ Stupid People!

I know   I KNOW!   Occasionally I'll come across a homeowner building a
new home and, for some reason, the electrician or AHJ will tell the
home owner that it's ok for the alarm company to install the "required"
smokes using system detectors. I always get the blank stare when I ask
them, Well what happens if you cancel your alarm service or your alarm
stops working and you don't get it fixed?     Duuuuuhhh! At least with
the 110V units, if one goes, they all don't go down and they'll beep
until you disconnect it or fix it. And the plus side is, with the 110V
units being ionozation and the system smokes, the homeowner has the
best of both worlds. But then again, the electricians don't how HOW
these things work ..... just that they've got this thingy that's got to
go here and another one over there  and the Monoxide thingy over there
......and lets' hurry up because it's 3:00 pm and almost quitting time.

 I can't figure why the electrician ..... of all people .....  WOULDN'T
want to make the huge profit they make on their $10.00 smoke detectors
by telling the homeowner they should use the alarm company. I've even
had a situation where the electrician didn't install the smokes because
he "thought the alarm company was going to install them" When the home
owner got my price versus the fact that the electrician had included
them in the quoted price for the job.... but didn't install them .....
the electrician had to come back after the dry wall was up and install
the smoke circuit.

One of my regrets, in this trade, is that when I had an opportunity to
take training for an electrical license, I turned it down. It wasn't
until I'd been in this business for a number of years that I realized
what a great combination the two trades would be.

I probably wouldnt have fit in though. When it comes to low volatage
and line voltage knowlege ....the words "smart" and "electrician" are
not usually used in the same sentence. ................