Re: Why I Don't Do Service for Other Companies

Jim wrote:
> Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> Roland Moore said:
>>
>>> That is true you don't have to install anything, but once you do decide to
>>> (voluntarily) install fire protection it has to be to code (especially under
>>> our AHJ - forget just up to code - that guy wants stamped RESIDENTIAL fire
>>> plans on existing - and I've yet to see that requirement written anywhere).
>> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  NFPA 72 section 11.5.1.1 contains the requirements
>> for smoke detection in one and two family dwelling units.  It says (2002
>> edition):
>>
>> 11.5.1.1 Smoke Detection.  Where required by applicable laws, codes, or
>> standards for the specified occupancy, approved single- and
>> multiple-station smoke alarms shall be installed as follows:
>>
>> (1) In all sleeping rooms
>>
>> Exception:  Smoke alarms shall not be required in sleeping rooms in
>> existing one and two-family dwelling units.
>>
>> (2) Outside of each separate sleeping area, in the immediate vicinity of
>> the sleeping rooms
>>
>> (3) On each level of the dwelling unit, including basements.
>>

>> Therefore, smoke detectors are not required inside bedrooms of existing one
>> and two family homes, but are required for new construction.
>>
>> As to your AHJ's requirement for plans, section 11.1.4 says:  "The
>> requirements of Chapter 4 through Chapter 9 shall not apply unless
>> otherwise indicated."  So, the documentation requirements of Chapter 4 do
>> not apply to household fire alarm systems.
>>
>> However, plans would be required if an electrician were installing smoke
>> alarms, partially due to the voltage and partially to ensure proper
>> placement and sufficient detectors.  So I suppose it's not too much of a
>> stretch to require some sort of plans for a household fire alarm system as
>> well.  The line voltage is not an issue, but detector placement is, as well
>> as equipment listing.  Lots of alarm companies use the burg siren as a
>> notification device, and few of those sirens are UL listed.  Plans might be
>> a nuisance, but I can see your inspector's side of this as well.
>>
>> - badenov
>
> So then it follows ...... that (in my area), all newly built homes are
> required to have  smoke detectors, inside and outside sleeping areas
> and on each level ...... always installed by the electrician.  But, in
> newer homes where that requirement has been met, there is no
> requirement that an after market installation by an alarm company would
> have to meet and therefore one system smoke detector could be
> installed, if that's all the homeowner wanted.
>
> In older homes that don't meet the newer requirements, there is no
> dictate saying that installing only one smoke detector is not allowed.

Jim, I'm sure you know Huntington! 2 jobs there the "Building Inspector"
told the customer that it was OK to waive the 120V interconnected by the
Electrician as long as my System Smokes were audible (not saying how!)
and it was monitored by a Central.  OK- what happens when the customer
defaults on payment, you cut him off- are we supposed to provide "free"
monitoring to scum forever to comply with a Code Official Clearly out of
his league? ( Same lovely fellow that told me that Class 2 plug in
trannys were unacceptable if there was a Fire Zone on the system that
was operational!) Help- I'm surrounded by @#$%%^^ Stupid People!