Re: Using garage door safety beams

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:25:52 -0700, "Crash Gordon"
<webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I've always thought it kinda dumb they mount those beams so low. IMO it
>should be mounted high enough that if you leave your car partially sticking
>out of the opened garage door (like when you back in to garage to empty
>groceries from the trunk and your wife pushed the button to close the
>freekin door without looking to see if the car is ALL the way in!  - twice
>she did that) - if the beam was higher the door would not have closed on her
>car (twice...did I mention she did it twice?)

I suppose the beam has to be very near the ground because that's where
a small child would be and I think that's the purpose of having the
beams.  I recall hearing of a couple of kids having their heads caught
by the door and suffocating and I believe that's about the time the
safety beams became standard equipment with automatic openers.

Les