Re: No false alarms - Visonic DUET detector

tourman wrote:
> There are quite a variety of good quality pet motions on the market now
> at varying costs depending upon the technologies used. The main thing
> is to set them up properly so 1- no animal can get within 6 measured
> feet of the device (like a cat crawling on furniture just below the
> motion)....and 2- they never "look" directly at stairs (many are fooled
> by a cat or dog running quickly up the stairs).Situation 1 will
> overload the motion causing an alarm, and situation 2 will cause some
> types of motions to "see" the animal as a person (horizontal plane as
> opposed to vertical plane etc)
>
> Only caution I would have...be careful where your wife or significant
> other moves furniture in the future to be sure to avoid situation one.
>
> I have thousands of pet motions in service and rarely have a problem
> related to pets unless something has changed since I originally
> installed the system.
>
> R.H.Campbell
> Home Security Metal Products
> Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
> www.homemetal.com

One phenomenon I've noticed occasionally with the "pet" motion
detectors is something that most people don't check for.

Not always but sometimes, you may think that the motion detector is set
right because it doesn't pick up a pet on the floor in front of it. YET
..... if you RUN across the field of detection, the unit will not
detect you either. There seems to be an area of adjustment that you can
go beyond ..... and even though the unit seems to be working regarding
the pets ..... the upper array isn't as sensitive either. I've only
noticed it a few times and an adjustment of the board takes care of it.
But, it might be worth everyone checking this out the next time you
install a unit. Could be a common problem that no one has noticed. This
is with the PIR units only that I've observed this. Not the dual tec's.